Wednesday, December 24, 2008

God did what?

It’s Christmas time and I’ve been busy making all of the preparations while the real point of the holiday lingers in the back of my mind. Most years, the birth of Christ reminds me of His humanity. This was a baby whose diapers needed changed, who had to learn to walk. He tasted different foods and probably had favorite dishes. He worked, when He was older, with his earthly father as a carpenter so He knew the satisfaction of pounding in a nail, the odd sensation of having sweat roll down you back. And while this still affects me, this year I’ve been struck by His vulnerability.

A baby comes into the world so small and weak-- newborns are like rag dolls whose heads loll to one side or the other unless you consciously care for them. And Jesus, the helpless infant, was the the plan to save the world. The usurper tried to snuff him out-- like with the massacre of the babies officially performed at Herod’s orders (though I’m sure he had help coming up with that idea).

I live in the time after, I have the benefit of “It is finished” (which I doubt I fully realize). So I need have no anxiety, but there are so many ordinary dangers that children face, like the obligatory cold-- what baby doesn’t have a fever that their parents sit up all night monitoring?
This is not something I’ve pondered long and I don’t think I understand it yet. The vulnerability, the huge risk involved... I mean I know God was taking care of the whole plan and yet so much was riding on someone so tiny. It floors me. I struggle with the ordinary level of human frailty when it comes to sending my child out into the big, bad world because I know he will not be complete, he will not mature if I prevent him from doing so. But God sent His Son into a world whose evil He saw clearly, knowing the usurper would try to kill him, with the whole fate of humanity on his shoulders. I believe it worked because it did. But the sheer audacity... it amazes me.

Perhaps I’m more struck by God the Father’s vulnerability. He put everything on the line, the fate of humanity, as well as that of His only Begotten Son. All His hopes tied up in one small child who couldn’t do anyhting but sleep, cry, eat and expel. I’m shocked it worked. I’m more shocked that God wanted to try it all. That’s insane love.

1 comment:

lorie said...

Just for the record, this would have been great in the advent devotional that wasn't this year...

very nice piece.