Monday, February 9, 2009

Sheesh, it’s just a letter

I’ve been working on a query letter and synopsis for Colin’s logs. In theory a query is a simple practical matter-- but I’m an anxious, nervous wreck. I think part of my problem is that I feel pressure to get it right. I mean I look through books on how to write a query, what should be in it and there are pages and pages of admonitions to ‘grab the editor/agent from the first word’ and to ‘sell your story’, and to ‘sell yourself as the person to write it’, making sure that every word is just so. (I think I need a paper sack, I’m about to hyperventilate here.)

But even with the best letter I could possibly write, I’m still afraid. It’s kind of a funny Catch-22 situation-- I’m afraid of taking the next step and I’m afraid of staying here. Then I feel silly about the whole thing-- it’s not like editors and agents have a James Bond eject button that will send me flying through the air if they don’t like it (and, thankfully, it would be too expensive to install). I can step back and be objective. I write fairly well and the book in question is a good read with some humor in it that will please readers in the sci fi/fantasy fan base but it’s not likely to be a Twilight kind of seller either, nor do I need it to be. One day, I’d like to have a real run-away-train like that, but Colin is really an opening salvo in what will hopefully be a long line of publishing credits. I need it to do well enough so I will be welcome to publish other stories. I have another manuscript that will be ready to market by the summer and several partial projects that I’m working on. But I have to get over the hill of marketing.

While I was writing, I kept having people commend my courage. Finishing a novel is a challenge but it wasn’t frightening, it called for sheer persistence more than courage. Critiques and revisions are tough, but good reviewers lead to such improvements that I can get over it. The writing is easy, marketing is where my neurotic insecurities show.

I have a decent core letter (with the help of some friends) and even if I’m a complete nut case, I can still address it to the agent or editor in question. My mother volunteered to actually mail the letters so that I don’t freak out and accidentally drop it in the trash instead of the mail (o.k., I exaggerate a bit). So, sooner than later, I’ll just suck it up and send it out-- wish me luck!

3 comments:

Lefty Sloane said...

I once finished a piece that I loved. I thought it was good enough for the New Yorker. I got swept away in the moment, wrote the query (after practicing them for a year) and then, with in the same hour, mailed it out.
For two hours afterward, I shook and wondered what had I just done? Who did I think I was? Samantha gave me a little magnet one day that said, I AM BRAVE. I got a formal rejection letter, but kept the bravery. u can do it.
"Ask and ye shall recieve."

Jack Petersen said...

Consider this; if being published depended on a great query letter, how many books (great or otherwise) do you think would have actually been published? Keep shoveling stuff out there. Sooner or later you'll reach the person who will love it. (By the way, my absolute favorite Sience Fiction writer is a woman.)She's old. I'm ready for a new one.

JB

lorie said...

I'm with ya--writing is the easy part. Why do you think I'm still not doing anything but blogging?

Mail the letters. Just do it. I'd be happy to read your letter if you want another set of eyes on it.